Discover Oceans of Possibilities with
the Summer Reading Program
at Merrill Memorial Library
Friday, June 17 – Friday, August 12, 2022
FOR READERS BIRTH to GRADE 12!
ABOUT THIS YEAR’S SUMMER READING PROGRAM:
With sign up, every participant receives: 1) a free book selected from our excellent cart of books, 2) a bingo sheet with oceans of possibilities, and 3) a Mad Libs to collect the secret words from our librarians throughout the program. You can pick up your packet at the library or download the pages from this website. Our beach-themed kick-off event will be held in front of Merrill Library on Friday, June 17. If you can’t make it on the 17th, that’s okay, sign up in the library or online any time after that day.
There will be trivia nights, an Earth Jams music concert, science in the garden, a treasure hunt, outdoor story times, a visit from Coastal Carol and her touch-tank, a talk about whales from Marine Mammals of Maine, and an in-person author visit on Sharks with Mary Cerullo – all of which you can sign up for in person or below on this website.
We’re looking forward to swimming through summer with you at the Merrill Memorial Library! Like and follow our Facebook page to keep up with all of our events.
How it works this year:
- Registration for our Summer Reading Program is in person or online – REGISTER HERE
- After registering, participants choose a free book to keep. They will receive a BINGO sheet and a Mad Libs page.
- Participants attend our events to help earn stamps for their BINGO sheet.
- A traditional 5-box BINGO earns an exclusive 2022 Summer Reading t-shirt.
- Filling out the four corners earns a free ice cream.
- Filling out the entire BINGO sheet earns a mystery prize.
- Emails are sent with updates, announcements about picking up take & make kits, book recommendations, and reminders about events.
OUR EVENTS THIS SUMMER:
- June 17th from 11:00-3:00: Sign up for Summer Reading at our “Beach Day” kickoff and get your bingo sheet, Mad Libs page, as well as the clues to our treasure hunt (which will run for 3 weeks) around Main Street! All ages!
- June 24 at 7:00: Family Summertime Trivia in the MML garden, bring snacks, sweaters, and seating. All ages. Registration required.
- June 28 at 3:30, Join Matt Loosigian for his Earth Jams at MML: a concert for young ones all about our lovely earth! (June 30th is the rain date). Ages 0-8, NO registration required.
- July 12 at 3:30: Science in the Garden with Mrs. O’C and Miss Mary. What fun ocean-themed science will we learn? Come and find out, Registration required, – Ages 8 & up.
- July 21 at 3:30: Join Marine Mammals of Maine at MML as we learn all about WHALES. Registration required.*
- July 26 at 3:30: Coastal Carol will give us a tour of the intertidal zone right in our very own garden! Registration required*
- July 29 at 7:00: Summertime Trivia in the MML garden, bring snacks, sweaters and seating. All ages. Registration required.*
- August 2 at 3:30: Come listen to author Mary Cerullo talk “Sharks at your Service” at MML. No registration required! Books will be available for purchase and signing!
- August 4 at 3:30: Little Science in the Garden with Miss Mary and Mrs. O’C. What fun ocean-themed science will we learn? Come and find out, Registration required – Ages 3-7.
- August 12 at 10:15, Last day of Summer Reading! Hand in those sheets! A beach walk storytime and sand castle building afterward. No registration required. Ages 0-6.
*Every Friday except 7/15 and 7/22 Miss Mary will host an ocean-themed storytime and art project for ages 0-6!
*Look out for Take-and-Make kits throughout the summer to help you finish your bingo sheets!
*Any questions, email email@example.com