Youth & Young Adult Events
Dangerous Thinking Club
NEW @Merrill Library
If you like to think and read and discuss, please join Jill on the third Friday of the month from 3-4 PM. Each month we will set the next month’s topic. For our November meeting, we are reading The Benefits of Being an Octopus by Ann Braden. The book tells the story of a family living on the edge of financial stability and deals with issues of bullying, socio-economic differences, and learning to find your voice.
Third Friday each month
Register at the Front Desk or email Jill (email@example.com) for more info.
Grades 6 & up
Book Arts Workshops
The Book Arts Workshops are open to anyone in grades 3-12. Each week we will be using old books and magazines to create things like a word bracelet, a vase or a wreath, cards, and an ornament. Sessions meet Mondays in December: Dec. 2, 9, 16, & 23 from 3:45-4:45. Snacks and all supplies will be provided. Sign up with this form or by emailing Jill at firstname.lastname@example.org, by stopping by the circulation desk, or by calling 846-4763.
Each week, a group of Minecrafters meet at the library to build worlds together or play in a game or a challenge. The Club uses Pocket Edition over the MML wireless. Players are welcome to bring their own devices or we do have a limited number of devices to borrow. Courteous gamesmanship and adherence to Club Rules is expected.
Grades 5 and up: Meets on Thursdays from 3-4. This is a closed club with registration required. For information about available spots in the Club, please email Jill at email@example.com
Grades 2-4: Meets on Tuesdays from 3:45-4:45. The Club begins on Tuesday, October 29 and participants will be selected by a lottery (due date to get into lottery is Tuesday, October 22) and notified on Wednesday, October 23. If your player would like to be put on the list, you must fill out this form. Any questions, email Jill at firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out these links if you’re stumped by what to read next
- Good Reads, a great site for tracking what you are reading and for finding new books to read based on what you have read and liked.
- Cloud Library, find downloadable audio and e-books for almost every device.
- Young Adult Library Association, extensive lists of award winners in all Young Adult categories, past and present.
- No Flying No Tights, reviews of graphic novels and comics.
- mr.schureads.blogspot.com, book reviews, videos about books, and interviews with authors. Great for all ages and reading levels.